Wednesday, September 16, 2009

On my Own

So I was on my own for the past few days, so I had to cook my own lunch and dinner, and go tour around on my own. Hence, on Monday i went downtown to take a look at Westfield Horton Plaza, which feels like an UTC that is stacked upwards into a mall. Then I walked around aimlessly till I reach the Chinese History Museum which is closed on Monday. Tsk, so I walked back into downtown area and came by this grocery show that sell extremely cheap stuff. I saw a box of soyjoy selling at 1.59 USD. Something must be wrong about this shop I thought, soyjoy could not be that cheap. I flipped the box over and to my horror, the soyjoy has expired since March this year, a total of six months overdue! This aroused my interest and suspicion about this place. And so I found out, many things on sale are either expired or going to expire, hence the cheap price. And all these appeal to the homeless and jobless people who roam around downtown area.

As for today, I went to Balboa park again. Other than paying for the SDMA, San Diego Museum of Art, which is 8 USD, the rest, like the Mingei International Museum, Timken museum for the art and Museum of man are free admission. I was intrigued by the art collection in SDMA, especially the oceanic/asian/american art pieces, where I can differentiate between them and tell the culture and way of life by looking at the materials use, and I can tell about the beliefs about the people too. Like looking at statues of Guan Yin when he was still in his masculine self. I like one particular painting called 'the drummer boy' which has a lot of story behind it. In the painting, a boy was carried on the shoulder of another man and was playing his drum. The boy has a wound on his leg. On the foreground I can see some people pulling one another, helping each other, to those that are injured. While in the background, there were soldiers marching. This makes me ponder and imagine about the war times, where the boy has to cheer the troop on as they go on fighting. During times of unrest, people are struggling to get by and survive. This becomes a complete story.

Alright, tomorrow is orientation day =) I miss Peter and Mandy. tsk



No comments: