Thursday, September 3, 2009

Give me a day and I'll learn more

I've learned plenty today, much thanks to Bill and Jordan. Well, Jordan is my housemate who is taking lower division chemistry now. He was nice and helpful to recommend his bicycle to me, which would be a convenient way of getting around La Jolla. So we were intending to ride from our place to Ralph's, but just a 100 m ride later, one of the pedal of the bicycle dropped out, and I panicked and scratched my toe on the road. There was some bleeding but it doesn't hurt, so it's fine, the sad thing is that I had to push the bike back to the garage, and take bus instead, which cost me 2.25 USD per trip. It's interesting how people communicate here, as back in Singapore, we never greet the bus driver nor we say thank you or what when we alight, everything is about being quiet, trying not to get attention. Well, I greeted the bus driver and said thank you when I alighted, incredible. Thankfully and fortunately, a man whom I meet on the bus told me that I could take the bus for free if I get my student ID and a yellow sticker from the transportation department. He showed me around the supermarkets and theaters, telling me the differences in prices and the things available in different supermarkets, and how he feels that values of American have shifted, as they are willing to pay more for less, seems like spending money is like a thing to pass time. I got introduced to Thomas, who wears a colorful shirt and has an interesting hairdo, Bill says that he is an icon around this area and Thomas said, "go ahead and click me." So we chatted for a while and we parted a while after that, as I return back to Ralph's. Coincidentally, Jordon happens to be there and asked if I wanted to have dinner with him, which I did, so we had chicken and salad from the salad bar, (well, that was his treat and it's a much appreciated friendly gesture) and we went on with grocery shopping. I got myself a gallon of milk and a box of cereal. And then, I used his student card to take the free bus ride home. Well, he highlighted the lonely planet book about places I should visit and lent me a dvd just in case I get too bored. Now I have another one now from Peter.

I realise that people here, they don't just walk past someone they know, either pretending that they don't know, or simply say 'hi' or wave hand, and quickly get away. When they are not that busy, they stop and talk a bit. When they are not free, they would go 'how have you been?' or 'how is it going for you?'. There is no longer a thing called 'hi-bye friends' here. People here make connections. After discussing with XT, I think it would be good that I put behind what I am and the habits I have in Singapore and get accustomed and adapted readily into this large melting pot. Maybe after that, I will start to enjoy the beautiful things America has in store for me.

For tomorrow, I'll be going to school to get my ID card and the yellow sticker, and probably move around the campus.

No comments: