Thursday, September 3, 2009

First post from SD

I know, it's crazy. I still can't believe that I'm here. I went out for a walk just now at about 11 am, in shorts and a running tee, to explore La Jolla and the places around here. Only then, I realize how small I am in this big place. Singaporeans are spoilt brats, I get to know this when I found out how eating out is not that affordable here, and people do go marketing and cook their own meals.

I had lunch at Westfield UTC eatery after walking and looking lost for an hour. I must have looked stupid, thinking that I finally saw an oasis in the midst of a desert, or something along that. I walked in, looked around, and to my surprise and delight, chinese food is available, at a corner I see Pho and Vietnamese cuisine, but wait a minute, a bowl of Pho for 8 USD? I could have 4 bowls of this if I go Vietnam. Finally I settled down with a lamb/beef kebab flatbread with a cup of diet coke. Not too badly priced, 7 USD and the portion is real big. Halfway through the meal I thought I was really full, and so I observe the people around me (sound like some stalker or something). So I saw this dad and his two sons, having burger king, and another two kids who are having lunch together, and they tried to join two tables together. So the boy instructed the girl to push the chair while he pull the table. Both of them looked cute doing that. Finally I finished my lunch and moved on. Took some photos of the iceskating place right in the middle of the eatery.

From there, I continue my little asian boy's adventure. Looks like I have under dressed myself here. I accidentally crossed the street and saw the executive square, having big firms like ernst & young, with people wearing formal wear there. I walked back to UTC and shopped around. I went into Macy's, A & F, and GAP. And relieved to see Starbucks and Ben and Jerry's, shops that I'm familiar with. Even seeing Chinese along the way brings me some sense of relief which I can't explain. Perhaps I am still adapting to this place (few hours after waking up, I felt tired and wanted to get back to bed because it is freaking wee hours in Singapore). Anyway, I see products that I consider cheap, like Levi's jeans silvertab selling at 32.99 USD, perhaps the most 50 USD, which is much cheaper as compared to 100 over dollars back at home. Other goodies are like CK jeans tees for 30? Or even Guess? Oh well, I wasn't in the shopping mood yet so I merely looked around.

I gotta go to the supermarket one of these days, and also around the campus to see what goes around the school.

No comments: