Friday, September 11, 2009

Next stop.

Aiyo, I have so much to write down since many things still amazes me. Like why Americans eat more and quicker than I do, how many things are made convenient and automated, how come some things are much cheaper here than in Singapore.

Over the weekend I got to the post office with Jordan, while Mandy and Pete went for their exams. Soon after, I joined them for lunch at a Latin-America All-in-one restaurant cum provision cum clothing store. The food is yum yum and comes in big portion. A pity I din get the chance to take the photos of the big fat roasted pork/bacon, big flavorful juicy beef, warm beans gravy, large chunk of fresh avocado, tender chicken and potato. And a good glass of passionfruit milkshake. After that was a series of 'welcome to america' stuff. We went to big stores so that pete can get his singlet and shorts, it's a wonder how people need to drive from one place to another to shop, unlike a all in one shopping mall concept we have in singapore. nevertheless, the stores are big and we do need to spend much time there.

On Sunday we had brunch at CoCo's and it's my first time to a breakfast place in America. I had a cinnamon roll french toast with scrambled egg and bacon. Yum Yum, top with maple syrup, and had a glass of orange juice. That's an unhealthy pick as compared to Pete's and Mandy's omelet. A series of impromptu stuff begin to happen. Pete and I drove to LA to his parents place which was HUGE and it will take me like half an hour to finish walking around the place. There was over a hundred channels on the television and we had good indian food when mandy came over too. We shopped at the Ralph's nearby and got ourselves deserts - Ben & Jerry's Chunky monkey, which is half the price of Singapore's. After that, I went to Mandy's place to stay, and had the chance to speak with her and her parents. I feel very much at home to speak with her mom in mandarin and we talk about many things, the difference between sg and us, studying in ucsd and asian countries. Seems like people have the impression that Singapore is a clean and green country, along with its strict laws.

The next day, Mandy's mum made us breakfast, toasted bread, oatmeal and eggs. Then we drove back to SD and I helped her moved her stuff into her new apartment, planning out what to do for the next few days.

So on Tuesday, good job for Mandy as she has completed her project! She can have the rest of the days free without going back to school for more lab. So on Tuesday itself, we drove to Balboa park, google maps din help us much, we found the place when we felt like giving up. We had a good look around the place, then walked on to 'extraordinary desserts' for delicious and mouth-watering desserts!. We shared a raspberry/strawberry coffeecake, a warm chocolate cake drizzled with dark chocolate sauce and a lemon bar. After that we were full and skipped dinner. Then we went to target to buy stuff. It is pretty similar to giant in sg.

On Wed, we went for breakfast at Einstein's bagels at the medical center with two of mandy's friends. I had a spinach egg with swiss bagel, with cinnamon sugar. Grace, who goes to the church, asks me to tag along next sunday, and joined them for welcoming week at the beach for bbq on the 25th. Then we got a coupon from Grace, buy one get one admission at Birch Aquarium. So instead of 8 bucks, we paid 6 bucks each. The aquarium is really a great place that we spent a good educational and trigger happy two hours there. We moved on to the La Jolla Downtown and the beaches there. Managed to see pelicans, seagulls and seals there too. Got my feet into the cool blue water and was thrilled by the large up current. Had lunch at burger lounge. Love the beef burger and the fresh cut fries there, great taste and large portion too.

Shopping time as we embarked on a journey to the Las America Premium outlet. I want so many things there and I want to go back again! I bought jeans from hurley and berms from levis. Many things from Gap and shirts from Nike. that place was shopping haven to many sgporeans. I'm sure of that.

Really thankful that Mandy is kind enough to spend time with me and show me around the mandy way, although we only know each other for barely a week. Would do the same if she comes to Singapore then =).

No comments: